Saturday, March 9, 2013

Transportation



I’m not talking about a car, train or plane. I’m talking about being transported into another world. I never thought I would appreciate a book based on fantasy like Harry Potter, but I did. Finding myself of late spending time in hospitals, first with my elderly aunt, then my father, and then my aunt again, I found refuge amongst the pages of this imaginative tale which transported me, in my mind anyway, to another place. The magical characters and scenes that the writer brought to life as I voraciously read her books or listened to CDs in my car provided a much needed break in the midst of my fears and anxiety.

Such inventiveness from J.K. Rowling is an inspiration to anyone who longs to be a writer – a great teller of stories whether fiction or non-fiction. Every character, device and backdrop she created; every spell, potion and charm pitting good against evil made the “real” world of illness and medicine seem less threatening and more manageable. At least that’s what happened for me -- someone who squirms at the sight of IVs and blood, and cringes with every beep on a monitor flashing vital signs.

I’ve just finished the seventh and last book in the series – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Despite Sheldon’s spoiler revealing the death of key characters in an episode of Big Bang Theory, I found it helped to prepare me for Dumbledore’s shocking death and departure from Hogwart’s. It did not, however, prepare me for Dobby the house elf’s demise and I quite literally sobbed in my car on the way to pick up my father for yet another doctor’s appointment. Still, it was probably a badly needed and welcome catharsis.

My aunt continues to recover at St. Vincent’s Hospital. My father is back home and doing quite well, thank you. When I need it, I may return to the pages of Harry Potter for a second reading. I’ve always appreciated good writing, and now I’ve learned the value of good fantasy for transportation to otherworldly places, no matter where they might be. They offer a respite from being primary “care partner” as health centers now call it.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”

Dumbledore beamed at him…”Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

No comments:

Post a Comment